First off - thanks again for coming to the maker workshop! I love making soap and i especially love sharing it with others. I really have this love for old time crafting that most people see as completely obsolete. However, much like baking a pie from scratch, there's a sense of peace & pride when you make something awesome and see others using and enjoying it.
Alas, I digress. you're not here to hear me wax hipster poetic. you want the details! And so below I have done my best to use my notes, memory and slight intuition (as i wasn't hovering for every bar made) as to the specific additives we used in creation of the bars you now have in your possession.
- litsea cueba
- 2 T poppyseeds in trace and as topper
- annato seed in lye water; strained into oils when ready
- few tbsp alkanet root powder in olive oil into trace liquid
- hibiscus flower topper
- benzoin (vanilla like)
- annato seed powder mixed at trace with 1/3 ; 2/3 plain
- french green clay added to the plain portion and layered
- salt topper
- Lavender essential oil
- lavender flowers to top
- alkanet root powder in oil mixture
- Cedarwood EO
- Benzoin EO
- Patchoili EO
- Coffee as water for lye solution
- Eucaplytus EO
- Camphor EO
- Pine EO
- add french green clay to 2/3 of mixture at trace
- layer in mold
- Lemongrass EO
- 1T Alkanet root powder in olive oil into trace
- Cinnamon decoction as water with lye
- 1-2T Oatmeal blitzed & as topper
- 1T Cinnamon chips in spice grinder, pulsed
- Natural color from cinnamon
- Pine EO (2/3)
- Patchouli EO (1/3)
- Natural Indigo for color
- only VEGAN soap
Winter Solstice Soap
found at Humblebee & Me, regrettably we weren't able to get the 'stars' to work out.
found at Humblebee & Me.
And now, more information than you'll ever really need unless you want to recreate this in your own home!
- Gardener's Delight was the one that got "glumly". I don't know how/why this happened, though i believe it 100% usable ~ it could use another month or so to harden.
- Annato powder when added to the lye water was a more consistent gold color (lyalhanna kitchen) vs when added in at trace directly as a powder (Morning Frost). When added in at trace, though the color dispersed, there are still some dots of coloration.
- Alkanet root powder when added to the oils turned the soap a beautiful pale green (despite its red color) when added after trace it was it's presumed pink. i (heart) science.
general stuff needed:
- crockpot (or double boiler)
- rubber spatula
- 2 digital read thermometers
- small plastic container (toss-able like an old yogurt container
- medium size plastic bowl
- immersion blender
- digital scale
- large heavy duty spoon for scooping hard oils
- table cover (i've actually ruined the finish on my table making soap without one sooooo)
- soap mold (my wooden ones are for sale $15 or there are lots online, and some folks even use old milk cartons!)
Base Recipe: scented hand bar
- Olive oil -21.74%
- Coconut oil 76 -21.74%
- Lard -13.04%
- Tallow -13.04%
- Avocado oil -13.04%
- Shea butter -13.04%
- Caster oil -13.04%
Base Recipe: laundry bar
- Coconut Oil -50%
- Lard -25%
- Tallow -25%
Where to shop:
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Wilderness Family Naturals - for coconut oil (craft) and lots of other goodies.